When members of the Boys & girls Club of Benton County Keystone Club found out about families suffering from respiratory infections in small villages in Guatemala due to smoke inhalation because of having open fires in their huts, it was a call to action. They first learned of the issue when a professor from John Brown University (JBU) spoke to Keystone Club members about the problem at a Keystone meeting. the professor provided members with a wealth of information, including that smoke inhalation is the number one cause of death in many villages. Keystone members found out they could help by raising funds for stoves with proper ventilation and decided to start raising money to buy stoves. They teamed-up with JBU and sold Guatemalan bracelets. Each stove costs about $150 and Keystone members have raised nearly $2000. Based upon an application process, five Keystone members (Austin Moulten, Pablo Aguilar, Reina Martinez, Irene Rubio, and Victoria Golden) were chosen to go to Guatemala to install the stoves. The five will be accompanied by Donovan Golden, the Keystone adviser. The group will depart on March 22nd and return on March 30th.
of our club members report finding valuable adult connections at the club.